Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Medieval Post 1


Unknown. unknown. Photograph. Medieval Art, Unknown. Merryfarmer.net. By Merry Farmer. Web. 5 Dec. 2012. <http://merryfarmer.net/tag/medieval-art/>.

Medieval manuscript was something I found very interesting this semester. There are so many interesting details in these drawings that I can assume that the artist was very patient and very dedicated to making these scripts as beautiful as possible. The main material these scripts were created on was vellum, which is stretched calf, goat, or sheep skin. Some of the colors were plant-based, while others were mineral-based, or even insect-based.
There was no story with the above picture explaining the story, but I can assume from the images of the naked people and the serpent that this is the story of Adam and Eve. My favorite part of this picture is the image of what I assume to be God sitting on his throne observing Adam and Eve as they eat from the Tree of Life. I find the detail on his throne very interesting. Considering that the artist in this day didn't have the tools to produce images like we do it must have been a tedious process making this image. I can imagine that it would have taken a very skilled person to paint this and not make any major mistakes. I can also assume that the people responsible for these pieces were highly esteemed during the time. I doubt that anyone had seen anything quite like this before their creation.


Unknown. unknown. Photograph. Medieval Art, Unknown. Merryfarmer.net. By Merry Farmer. Web. 5 Dec. 2012. <http://merryfarmer.net/tag/medieval-art/>.

Here is another example of a manuscript but with much more detail than the prior one. Again, there was no story with the image explaining what it is and honestly I couldn't even begin to guess what it could be. I love that almost every inch of the pages tell a story although I have no clue what that story is. The image on top of the left page is absolutely beautiful. What I find especially interesting is the checkerboard pattern around the main painting. The artist actually took the time to not only make the pattern but to add a dot in each square. I for one would have never had the patience to undertake such a task so the fact that someone did blows me away. This is a topic I will continue to research after the class is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment